Sunday, February 03, 2008

The Obama Girl of the North!

Today I took part in the biggest ski race in Alaska- the Ski for Women! An annual event on Superbowl Sunday, the women-only event celebrates women and their interests whether they be athletic, political, whimsical or artistic. Over 1,000 women ski, both in costume and in plain, warm clothes, and it is great fun to be a part of. I went as an Obama billboard in preparation for the Democratic caucus on Tuesday the 5th. As a newly energized political junkie, I festively donned my support for Mr. Obama. It was inspiring to actually field questions from women at the event about the caucus and hear the 'GO OBAMA' cheers as I skied through the course.

My friend Liz went as the HULK-the Alaskan Hulk - and donned her "earmarks" all over her costume for her own political expression. Not until we saw each other in costume did we realize what a pair of senators we were!

At the start I realized that I actually had to skate ski the 2.4 mile course. Although not a long distance to ski, the skate skiing is a new endeavor for me- and a challenging one- and so the course proved to be hard work and tiring. I tried my best, got a great, sweaty workout and slept for 2 hours after the race with Sadie. What a great day!
GO OBAMA!



No comments: