Monday, May 26, 2008

Thursday Night Epic Run

This past Thursday Night, I ran with a group of dedicated mountain/ultra runners up Bird Ridge. The plan was to bushwhack off trail along the creek to the waterfall and then head north (and up) and meet up with the trail. We ran over and under fallen branches, through trees ( I have the scratches to prove it) and around large piles of bear scat. Here we came out of the thick trees onto a moraine. Up we climbed over rocks...



and got up a bit higher out of the boulders.

The rock field turned into an avalanche chute and at this point I did wonder when we would meet up with the trail again.

Climbing further up you can see the rock field WAY below! We never did meet up with the trail again but scarmbled, on all fours at times, to the top of Bird Ridge.

Hooray!

Looking back at Bird Point

I had enough time to pop on a ski hat and shell, swallow a Gu and we then plowed down the ridge in no time. Well, in 2 hours and 45 minutes total time. Amazing run! As I write this, on Monday evening, my quads and calves are finally beginning to stop screaming.









No comments: