Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Wildflower Walk with Verna

Sunday, I got to do something that I have always wanted to do. I took a walk with Verna Pratt, AK plant expert and author of my favorite wildflower book. About 49 other folks joined us. We walked along the trail and she spoke about whatever we saw: types of spruce trees, large leaf avens, cottonwood hybrids, nettles and cow parsnip. I even had a chance to ask her for a few tips about how to identify specific types of wildflowers that are very similar/related. We even chatted about highbush cranberries and jams and jellies and I felt like I had access to a celebrity!

Lovely larkspur

Verna discusses the poisonous monkshood, larkspur
and delphinum that are all in the same family.

First fireweeds in bloom



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Am sure it was interesting to hear Verna speak about the wildflowers. She sure resembles Mary Veronica Gulyas Williams!