Friday, June 18, 2010

The Big 4-0

" My name is Sally O'Malley. I'm 50 years old. I'm not one of those gals who likes to hide her age. I like to kick and stretch and kick!"
Molly Shannon- SNL

I'm 40 years old. How that happened I'll never know. Forty feels like a lot of years. Victor Hugo called forty the old age of youth. I connect more to the youth than to the old age, but I spent my birthday today letting my mind drift between the free spirit of youth and the mortality of old age. My day began with Maren and Sadie opening their eyes and sharing birthday wishes. " We have presents with flowers on them Mom" Sadie cheered. I was showered with thoughtful gifts from David. We signed all the closing paperwork on our new home. Annette and Jill treated me to a lovely birthday breakfast- homemade sausage quiche and rhubarb pie, mimosas, fruit salad and gifts! I enjoyed a latte from my favorite coffee stand, scoring bargains at Value Village, a yummy lunch date with my husband and I accomplished the required chores of the day. I opened thoughtful, meaningful gifts from friends and family, spoke to family on the phone, listened to birthday messages on the answering machine and read many a cheerful email. I feel cared for and loved and thought about. I spend the evening partaking in a little bushwhacking botanizing- I saw delicate flowers, learned their names and met folks who share in my passion for wildflowers. I came home after 10pm to red velvet cake, my favorite wine and my husband to talk to.

Birthdays give us an opportunity to pause and take stock of our lives. My life is full and blessed and filled with what I like. Saturday I'll celebrate with a big party. I'm gonna kick and stretch and kick again, because I'm 40!


1 comment:

Maya and Ian said...

If anyone can do it, YOU can! Just don't pull a muscle. Happy Birthday!