Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Off to Second Grade

Off to second grade she goes. Ms. Teresa's class is a 2/3 combo class and the third graders looked really big to me. It made me teary to think how Maren is just going to get bigger. She was happy to see her friends and only slightly hesitant to see me off.
Maren got a scooter and roller blades for her 7th birthday. At the beginning of the summer, she started riding her bigger two-wheeler independently, alone and out of sight. Yesterday we scored some of those sneakers with the wheel right in the sole. She wouldn't take them off until she got into bed. Today, I figured out what all the wheels are for- so she can grow up faster and speedier. It is bittersweet. I want to pull her back to when she was three and it was her and I discovering the wworld. But then to watch her blossom and shine and try and succeed- it is the greatest gift. She is moving forward, in her own way-on wheels.
As I type this, Sadie tells me she is gonna do a yoop ( loop). She wants to ride her trike down to the end of the cul-de-sac, " just like Maren," she says. Sorry Sadie, only one girl on wheels at a time.

1 comment:

Maya and Ian said...

totally cute haircut Maren! Have fun at school. we miss you...