Thursday, October 18, 2007

When you save up...

Maren really surprised me today. A few weeks ago at our favorite toy store, Maren learned the difficult lesson of shopping for someone else. We stopped at Classic Toys to pick up a small gift for a friend, but when Maren got in there she had a very tough time not wanting something for herself. Tears were shed. I calmly explained that we were there to shop for a friend's special day, but this was not acceptable for Maren. I explained how if you are patient and kind, good things will happen to you. From there I went to an explanation of what expensive is and how sometimes we have to save our money and wait to buy things that cost money. Well, today after our trip to the zoo, Maren brought out her piggy bank to the kitchen table and started sorting coins. I told her about quarters and dimes and nickels (we have done this before) and I took it a step further and explained how 4 quarters makes a dollar and 10 dimes makes a dollar and she got busy making small piles of the correct number of coins. Then she pulled out a few bills sent over the months by Nonny and GG and once all was counted she had more than $30. "Can I buy something expensive?" I still wasn't sure what she was driving at, but then she revealed her plan. "Can we go to the toy store and buy my bird?" Now this was weeks ago, but something gave her the idea and she had a premeditated plan. So I indulged her. After lunch we drove to the toy store and she bought her very own, expensive, talking robin. (It didn't cost $30, we came home with money!) Once home she said, "maybe I can save up for a buddy for this guy?" I'll bet she will.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maren, what does the robin say?

Love,
Gram